Juliann Faucette Johnson, BSN SPORTS Volleyball Brand Ambassador, has taken the content from her coaching clinics, professional experience playing and coaching Volleyball, and work with Art of Coaching to share a collection of Coaching Tips. This five-part Coaching Tips series covers the following topics with summaries and video links:
- Building Confidence, Learning Team Personality, and Meditation
- Strength and Conditioning, Nutrition, and Rest and Recovery
- Mission Theme and Tryouts
- Practice Plan, Pressure Practice, and Video
- Yoga and Training the Mind
Part 5: Yoga and Training the Mind
#93 Tip | Yoga
One of the ways I was able to elongate my career was incorporating yoga into my individual routine. While on the national team we devoted a fay once a week to yoga. A lot of us have the idea that yoga is simply just stretching, but it has so much more to it than that. Yoga is a stamina builder, strength builder, and a mental training tool all in one. I always encourage my athletes to take some yoga classes during their time off, better yet I would incorporate a 20-minute yoga practice each week; there are several free online video’s that are free. This way I know they are getting the benefits of yoga. -Juliann Faucette Johnson, BSN SPORTS Volleyball Brand Ambassador
#32 Tip | Training the Mind
I am a big supporter in training the mind. Sports build a bunch of pressure and we need to help our team to combat it. Here are three of my favorite mental training books to share with your team or recommend to a player struggling with the mental side of the game.
- Ten-minute toughness by Jason Selk- this book was a game-changer got me, it helped me learn how to visualize and write down achievable goals.
- Mind Gym by Gary Mack- This book is perfect to reach a chapter at a team with your team after practice
- The Inner Game of Tennis by W. Timothy Galloway- Written by a tennis player but applicable to all sports and how to overcome nervousness and self-doubt.
-Juliann Faucette Johnson, BSN SPORTS Volleyball Brand Ambassador