As we enter a new decade, it’s clear that podcasts will continue to be one of the top trends in the world of digital media.
Whether it’s sports, news, business, or various forms of entertainment and education, the concept of hands-free and eyes-free listening in our multitasking society has quickly led to a massive boom in the industry.
If you haven’t seen some some recent mind-blogging statistics surrounding podcasts, here are some according to data provided by Apple, Nielsen and Edison:
- 850,000 active podcasts
- 30 million podcast episodes
- $650-700 million in podcast advertising revenue forecasted in 2020
High School Football Coaches
Speaking of multitasking, high school football coaches have always been a busy group. Add things like social media, video games, head trauma and mental health to the mix, and their jobs certainly haven’t gotten any easier over the last decade.
One thing many of them do to help? Listen to podcasts.
Whether you want to get your daily news fix at your desk in the morning, throw on some sports talk radio during an afternoon workout, or get some tips and advice from the soothing voices of veteran ball coaches while relaxing before bed, here are some recommended podcasts:
Make Defense Great Again
- Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/make-defense-great-again/id1473232876
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/6A4vlYE15u9rL6PkVIuHkl
- Additional info: https://www.coachvass.com/podcast.html
Defense wins championships.
There’s a reason why that phrase continues to live on – it’s true. Whether it’s Bill Belichick, Nick Saban or any dominant coach in the high school ranks, it’s likely that defense is a major focus of theirs.
Chris Vasseur – or Coach Vass – is currently the defensive coordinator for Clovis High School. As we all know, defense wins championships, and this proved true when Coach Vass helped lead Serra to a state title in 2017.
Run the Power
- Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/run-the-power-a-football-coachs-podcast/id1331734150
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/7jiCiGuZr2kkPCLFMSIfuF?si=bBg8bJyKRc2T5U751pU88Q
- Additional info: https://runthepower.com/
While the rest of the football world seems to be moving toward spread offenses and zone-blocking schemes, these guys still love the power running game.
As co-hosts Rowdy Harper and Brady Walz put it in the Apple Podcasts description: “We’re a just couple of football coaches that love talking football and want to learn everything we can about offensive line.”
With Harper’s college football background as a lineman at Houston, and both his and Walz’s success at the high school ranks, this is a great listen for running backs coaches, offensive line coaches, and many others.
For What it’s Worth Coaching
- Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/for-what-its-worth-coaching/id1445909141
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/6OjyE1l1dQDvG3ARnaDfpl
- Additional info: https://www.coachkurthines.com/for-what-it-is-worth-coaching/
With his motivational tweets and videos, Kurt Hines has quickly become one of the top football influencers nationwide. His podcast is just another way he’s able to spread his messages and philosophies.
According to the Apple Podcasts description, it’s an “avenue for Coach Kurt Hines and Coach Mark Tighe to reach, encourage and EMPOWER coaches, players and parents, to do, be, and become, more than they ever thought possible!”
Keep Your Pads Down
- Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/keep-your-pads-down/id1454474972
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/5klhUHgJAYOWJRcPiepqDg
- Additional info: https://twitter.com/KYPDPODCAST
According the description, this is “a podcast for the men in the trenches.”
Created by Ty Taylor, the defensive line coach at Pleasant Grove High School in Texarkana, Texas, Keep Your Pads Down focuses on defensive line play. As the number of pass-heavy offenses continues to grow, Coach Taylor can help you with the big fellas on defense, so they can clog up running lanes and improve your pass rush.
The Coaches’ Locker
- Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-coaches-locker-podcast-with-chris-fore/id1393045821
- Additional info: https://eightlaces.org/podcast/
After spending 18 years as a coach, Chris Fore has now entered into an Assistant Principal role, and is also President of the California Coaches Association.
Fore also provides written content on his website and is active on Twitter. Overall, his extensive experience makes him an extremely helpful resources for other coaches.
“I want this podcast to be a safe place for coaches to come to during the week. Not a ‘safe space.’ I ain’t talking about that,” Fore says in the Apple Podcasts description. “I’m just talking about a place you can come, as the coach of any sport to find a home!”
The Football Coaching Podcast
- Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-football-coaching-podcast-with-joe-daniel/id496391466
- Additional info: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-football-coaching-podcast
With a website that features eBooks, 1-on-1 coaching consultations and much more, Joe Daniel is providing helpful content in many different ways.
“The Football Coaching Podcast focuses on topics important to youth, high school and college football Coaches. We discuss all aspects of coaching football including Offense, Defense, Special Teams, program building, offseason training and more.”
Inside the Headset Podcast
- Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/inside-the-headset-with-the-afca/id1277902292
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/3CsSPWZeKYkkkaN9Q3rS5R
Run by the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA), this podcast has featured some of the most influential college coaches in the game right now: Mike Gundy, James Franklin, and many other coaches that boast a wealth of knowledge.
“Inside the Headset with the AFCA takes you in-depth with interviews, anecdotes, and breakdown of X&O’s with football coaches around the country.”
Coach and Coordinator
- Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/usa-football-coach-and-coordinator-podcast/id1216363733
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/2FMkGaDAACBdFKWXY9WfGs
- Additional info: https://usafootball.com/coachandcoordinator/
Similar to the AFCA, USA Football has a podcast that has featured several big names like PJ Fleck, Jeremy Pruitt, and several top-tier coordinators and position coaches.
“USA Football’s Keith Grabowski interviews the most knowledgable head coaches, coordinators, and position coaches from professional, college, and high school football. Grabowski and his guests discuss the philosophy, concepts, schemes, and strategies that they have learned throughout their careers. Each show includes a specific idea that can be applied to help coaches at every level find the winning edge.”
BSN SPORTS Football
Whether its custom uniforms or equipment, fundraising tools, coaching clinics, facility branding, or anything in between, BSN SPORTS can be your one-stop shop. In fact, we currently service more than 2,000 football teams nationwide.
2020 Uniform Frenzy Contest
Interested in potentially winning a custom golf cart, weight room set, couches, or any of the other prizes we’re giving away?
To enter, all you have to do is order at least one football uniform by February 29, 2020 – that’s it! Learn more about our Uniform Frenzy contest here.